In accordance with the Indian Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, it is obligatory as per law for the two wheelers or four wheeler drivers in India to carry a valid driving license. A Driving license is an important official document which is issued by the Transport wing of government that permits you to drive a vehicle on the roads. A driving License is also considered as a document of identity proof.
A driving license procured 20 years ago does not mean that after 20 years also you are fit and are in equally good condition to drive as flawlessly as before. Hence driving license also comes with an expiry date. You must be thinking of all the trouble and hassles you would have gone through as you would have applied for your first driving license, and now again you need to apply for the new one now with all that paper work and long queues yet again. But as a matter of fact, you must apply for the DL renewal as soon as you come to know that your driving license is going to expire because driving with an expired license is as big an offence as driving without a driving license.
DL renewal: some Know-hows
As per law it is mandatory to renew your expired Driving License after its expiry. If you do not renew your driving license on time, then as per Section 177 of the Motor Act 1988, you are punishable by law. The defaulters can face serious consequences along with a heavy fine levied on them.
You can keep your expired driving license maximum for 30 days. This is the grace period, which is given to all the citizens so that they can get the DL renewal made within those 30 days. However, if you happen to ignore that your DL has expired and 30 days have already passed, you can still get it renewed but it will attract you a penalty. It is also important to know that you must make the request of DL renewal within five years from the date of expiry.
In the case of relocation, if the applicant has changed his state and he wants a new DL of a new state, he must provide a No Objection Certificate (N.O.C.) and a confirmation of driving license which was issued by the previous state or the original licensing authority. Visit this site to know more.
How to renew DL
The process of DL renewal is quite simple:
- Download Form 9 – or Application form for DL renewal either from the RTO’s website of your state or visit the local RTO office to procure the form.
- Fill in the queries like details of applicant’s current DL along with authentications and signatures
- Complete the form and attach the required documents
- Duly filled application form with the required documents for DL renewal should be submitted to Assistant R.T.O
The list of documents needed for DL renewal is:
- Duly filled DL renewal application form
- The medical certificate of applicant. This form can be downloaded from your state’s RTO website and must be filled by a licensed physician.
- Your existing driving license
- Proof of age like PAN card, passport, voter ID card, etc.
- Address proof like passport, electricity bill, phone bill, lease agreement, etc.
- Few passport size photographs
Your DL stands renewed for 5 years in case of Non-Transport Vehicle, and for 3 years for a transport vehicle. The process time will be quicker in case of same office, but if the state is different, it may take around 20 days for the renewed DL to come.